Sunday, May 8, 2011

Irish Red Ale and secondary transferring

Well, today I brewed an Irish Red Ale and transferred two batches of beer to the secondary fermentors. Let's just say I didn't think far enough ahead. My father in-law and I had two primary fermentors at our disposal and they both had beer in them. I started an all-grain batch before testing the gravity on the two batches to see if they were ready to be transferred over. We had a Honey Wheat and a West Coast Pale Ale, the honey wheat was about about 1.025 and the pale ale was about 1.015. I went ahead and transferred them both.  I know that I will have to watch the honey wheat to make sure it doesn't blow it's top.

While I was getting ready for the all-grain batch, I spilled water all over my in-laws' kitchen floor. It really got stressful for a minute and then I remembered a saying from the guys over at Basic Brewing: "Relax; have a home brew!" Well, I didn't have any home brew on hand so I just had a microbrew. After that everything just went a lot better. There was less stress and it really became an enjoyable brewing day! I can't wait to see how all the beer turns out and will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment